In this position you are expected to have a basic understanding of the skills involved with cooking. Line cooks must know how to use cooking wares such as knives, pans, grill and many more. A line cook is not only an assistant to the lead line cook but some are given specific stations. Line cooks are also responsible for prepping the ingredients and making sure there are stocks available every day. Other than preparing the food prior to cooking, the line cook must also possess skills on garnishing the food and follow specific plating desired by the chef or the standards provided by the restaurant.
Line Cooks should have a good understanding of the recipes offered by the restaurant. This position requires the ability to follow instructions correctly and follow the important step by step procedures provided as this is how the chef and the restaurant wants the food to be cooked and presented. The ability to understand and pick things up quickly is key in this position. Line cooks must be easy to teach and compliance is vital.
Most importantly, we want you to grow with us. Having a good work ethic with a desire to learn and further your knowledge will provide abundant opportunities to step into higher level positions such as line-lead, shift lead or even Chef based positions.
The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop or kneel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
• Assists in supervision and instruction of subordinate cooks and service workers, as necessary.
• Prepares or assists in preparation of complete meals such as; soups, meats, gravies, vegetables, desserts, salads, baked goods, etc.
• Assists chef in preparation, cooking.
• Assists in the cleaning of kitchen area and general maintenance of equipment and inventory control.
• Available to take charge of a shift in absence of shift manager and / or supervisor.
• Available to be responsible for checking supplies and groceries received in work area.
• Available to assist in serving special diet meals or food allergies.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
• Full Time and Part Time positions available.
• Days and hours of work vary based on need.
• Must be able to work nights and weekends frequently and some holidays.
• Good knowledge of principles and quantity cooking
• Experience in quantity cooking of vegetables, meat, fish and poultry, baked goods, etc., utilizing standardized metric recipes.
• Good knowledge of food service sanitation standards, personal hygiene and safety.
Education, Training and Experience:
• Experience in the food service industry as a cook in kitchens, or completion of a recognized course in cooking or an equivalent combination of training.
• Must have current food handlers card.
• A high school diploma or something equivalent is not needed but is a plus.
**Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.