Baristas take orders and make coffee, tea, and other drinks to customer specifications. They operate cash registers and credit card machines. Baristas may field customer complaints or questions, as well. They must clean coffee machines daily, restaurant areas, restrooms, and preparation areas during a normal shift. As a head barista you are also in charge of training staff to make drinks and to use the equipment correctly. Ensure that sufficient supplies are available and inform FOH of any shortages. Make certain that coffee blends are stored in a safe and proper manner. Baristas work to maintain good customer relations and speedy delivery of all beverages as well as complete assigned tasks from management every day with open communication with the FOH manager.
The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop or kneel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
• Working experience in a coffee shop or similar facility (helpful but not required)
• General knowledge of coffee, tea, smoothies and other hot or cold beverages
• This position typically involves on-the-job training. In some cases, you can attend a vocational school or culinary institute for formal education, but it typically isn’t necessary for application. You will, however, need a food handler’s permit to work in a commercial setting. These can be obtained through your local state health department either online or in-person through a short class and quiz. Having previous work experience with the coffee and other beverages and the ability to work under pressure is important. You’ll also need to be able to lift heavier items and have the physical stamina to stand for the majority of your shift.
Skills and abilities required:
• Knowledge of coffee blends and their origins
• Adept at using condiments in coffee blends and prepare coffee according to customers’ instructions
• Exceptional people skills aimed at providing the highest in customer services
• Well versed in frothing and steaming milk in appropriate ways to make good quality blends
• Demonstrated ability to use coffee tampers correctly to ensure uniform extractions
• Proficient in adjusting coffee grinders appropriately
• Solid background in calibrating shot sizes in a correct manner and setting up blend machinery to reproduce shots effectively
• Hands-on experience in roasting and grinding coffee beans
• Particularly effective in providing customers with information on different types of coffee blends and their ingredients
• Proven record of handling coffee and other supplies by ensuring proper inventory levels
• Exceptional time management skills targeted at providing customers with timely orders
• Excellent attention to detail aimed at ensuring orders are accurate
• Proven ability to perform preventative and general maintenance on coffee bar equipment Special talent for adhering to recipe policies of the company
• Qualified to handle cashiering services by handling payments and working cash points
• Exceptional hospitality skills aimed at ensuring recurring business and customer retention
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
• Full-time and Part-time positions available.
• Days and hours of work vary based on need.
• Must be available to work nights and weekends frequently, and some holidays.
Education and Experience required:
• Food Handler’s Permit
• Work experience in a coffee shop or similar facility
• General knowledge of coffee, tea, smoothies and other hot or cold beverages is helpful
**Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.